Copy is pretty much a part of everything we do as online business owners. Copy can transform hearts and minds, but how do we choose which copywriting strategy works for us? I talk with Alyson Lex, a pro copywriter, to share easy-to-remember phrases you can use to market better. We dive into strategies to increase conversions and how to know if it is time to tweak your messaging.
Alyson Lex is a 13+ year veteran direct response copywriter. From her start as the Director of Marketing at Glazer-Kennedy Insider’s Circle (working and writing for Dan Kennedy and Bill Glazer) to her private business helping hundreds of coaches, authors, and speakers, to her podcast helping you market your business AND put good into the world she lives and breathes effective marketing that works withOUT selling your soul.
[00:01 – 05:22] Who is Alyson Lex?
- Alyson shares her journey into direct response copywriting and entrepreneurship
- Getting her start working for Dan Kennedy and Bill Glazer
- Alyson cut her teeth at Glazer-Kennedy Insider’s Circle as the Director of Marketing, but she just wanted to return to her first love of copywriting, minus the administrative responsibilities. When she found an opportunity to focus on copywriting she took it and went off on her own
[05:23 – 12:42] So, What is Copy?
- Understanding different types of copy
- Content Copy
- Primarily educational
- Branding or Advertising Copy
- Messaging that communicates a brand’s tone and personality to its audience
- Direct Response Copy
- Involves communication directly to the customer in a way that compels them to take a specific action that leads to one goal
- Tends to be much more data and ROI driven
- Content Copy
- Too many offers overwhelm your customer and do not drive results
- Get as hyper-personalized and hyper-targeted as you can with your offers
[12:43 – 23:43] How to Get Personal With Your Audience
- Step 1: Look at your data
- Breakdown your conversion checkpoints and determine where people are falling off
- Step 2: Identify your audience
- Niche down and test
- Step 3: Identify the Problem
[23:44 – 35:03] Using Emotion to Convert and Sell
- We are emotional buyers that justify our decisions with logic
- How do we convey emotion on paper?
- Decide if your copy will be aspirational or fear-avoidant
- Think about what your customers want
- Ask WHY every step of the way
- Build your avatar very thoroughly
- Bring all 5 senses into your copy
- Don’t write your copy for the masses, write for an individual
- You need to niche down!
- Niching is not permanent or saying no to money
- Too many options compete for your attention and energy
[35:04 – 47:59] Phrases You Can Use on Your Landing Page
- Alyson gets practical and shares her favorite sticky copywriting terms
- Get creepy – Know your avatar
- Homer Simpson – We’ve all had days when we feel like Homer Simpson
- Don’t wimp out – Tell your customer what to do (Make sure to make those CTA’s visible!)
- Energizer Bunny – Keep going, promoting, and pushing
- How to convert people that are sitting on the fence
- Look at the value of the lead
- Look at what you’ve given them
- Be a little patient
- Identify the problem: They’re either not mentally or emotionally ready, the value hasn’t been justified to them, or they’re not sure why they should buy now
[48:00 – 54:47] Talking Tools and Data
- What are your favorite email service providers?
- Active Campaign
- How to look at your numbers and make educated decisions
- How often you should look at your data
[54:48 – 57:47] Something For You!
- Connect with Alyson (links below!)
- If you want a 10 step formula for copywriting, download Alyson’s PDF www.alysonlex.com/writeitself
Learn from Alyson
Alyson’s Website – https://alysonlex.com
Alyson’s FB – https://www.facebook.com/AlysonLex
Alyson’s IG – https://www.instagram.com/alysonlex/
If you want a 10 step formula for copywriting, download Alyson’s PDF www.alysonlex.com/writeitself