“I always explain branding as the personality of your business.” – Dawn Foster
Welcome to the Marketing To Millions Podcast, I’m your host, Liz Boer! In this episode, I welcome Dawn Foster to teach us how to set our brands up for success as Solopreneurs. We get practical and precise with metrics and tools.
Dawn Foster is a marketing strategist and brand guru who sees shapes and colors before words. She’s led small and large marketing teams for over a decade and now works with solopreneurs and small business owners to take their marketing to the next level. Dawn is an analytical person who specializes in not only creating a branding foundation but in using numbers and data to amplify marketing strategies. She’s worked with Golfsmith (now Dick’s Sporting Goods), Renewal by Anderson, QuantumDigital, and more and shares what she’s learned along the way with her clients.
[00:01 – 08:28] Getting to Know Dawn
- Dawn tells us her story
- Going into full-time entrepreneurship at the peak of COVID
- Preparing mentally and spiritually for entrepreneurship for 2 years
[08:27 – 18:27] The First Steps of Online Marketing
- First step: Determine the foundation of a client and their business
- Catering their strategy around their capacity
- Most common first-time solopreneur mistakes
- Not putting the time and effort to create an actual brand
- Dawn’s definition of branding
- Branding is the personality of your business
- The importance of using media as a means of communicating your brand’s personality and connecting with your perfect audience
Branding is something that does not stop, just because you’re starting a business and working on branding. You’ll continue to work on that same branding, and it will continue to evolve as long as your business is in existence.Dawn Foster
[18:28 – 28:47] What Happens After the Foundation is Set?
- The next step is to figure out what you can commit to consistently
- Determining what the best tools are for your paid advertising an ongoing content strategy
- How far in advance should a solopreneur prep their audience before launching a program or product?
- Content strategies for solopreneurs
- Customizing a strategy for the type of business and needs
- Approaching your clientele from the frame of mind that they’re in
- Transparency of sharing the framework and the results that people will achieve
[28:48 – 39:30] What Metrics Should Solopreneurs Focus on?
- It depends on your goal
- Getting people to your website
- What specific content is driving people to your website?
- What type of content is that?
- Refining the content you create to hone in on what’s effective
- Small tweaks can change so much
- Make sure to give your strategy time, in order to get a good set of numbers to analyze
- Your ad performance is not a reflection of you
- How long should you let a strategy sit for?
- 3 months, ideally
[39:31 – 47:11] Favorite Branding, Media, and Metric Tools
- Metric Tools
- Google Analytics
- Hot Jar
- Scheduling Tools
- Website and Hosting
- Email Marketing
[47:12 – 49:54] Wrapping Up!
- Dawn’s last tips and advice
- Make sure you have a solid foundation, take it slow, be consistent, and start small
- Connect with Dawn! (Links below)
LISTEN OR FOLLOW FOR FREE IN YOUR FAVORITE PODCAST APP:
APPLE PODCASTS I SPOTIFY I GOOGLE PODCASTS I AMAZON
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Connect with Dawn
Other Episodes Related To This Topic You’ll Enjoy:
- 10 Steps To Creating An Irresistible Online Course [EP 33]
- Mindset Habits of Successful Entrepreneurs
- How to Turn Podcast Listeners Into Paying Students
Let’s get connected:
You can find me on Instagram and Facebook. Visit my website https://lizboer.com
Join the Marketing to Millions FB Group
LEAVE A REVIEW + and SHARE this episode with someone you know who wants to build their online business, influence, and brand. You can listen to Marketing to Millions on Spotify, Stitcher, or iTunes.